Firefox or what?

hw hw at adminart.net
Mon Aug 12 20:11:13 UTC 2019

Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> writes:

> On 8/12/19 5:37 PM, hw wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does any of the Firefox versions that can be installed with pkg
>> actually work?  Firefix continues to freeze, crash, being unable to
>> remember its settings, to not show up at all when starting it other
>> than in the process list, and it usually can't be killed even with
>> kill -9.
>
> I'm using firefox-esr on 11.2/amd64 and I don't have so many problems
> (although it sometimes hangs and I've incurred in a couple of bugs).

I tried both the "normal" version and the esr version, it made no
difference.

> What FreeBSD version are you using?

12 release

> Did you read pkg message?

Yes, and it's strange that so many things are disabled.  For this
particular application, it's probably an advantage.

> Other details on your system?

Well, FreeBSDs NFS implementation is broken, see my previous post ...

>> what's the alternative?
>
> Now, that's a good point; so far my dislike of FireFox is constantly
> growing, by I failed to find an alternative.
> What I tried:
>
> _ Chromium: while I just don't like it in general (and I don't like
> FireFox more and more mimicking it), it's the OmniBar which make me
> avoid it at all costs;
>
> _ PaleMoon: more or less worked (altough some sites refuse it), but
> it's now gone like SeaMonkey;
>
> _ Falkon: seems quite light; unfortunately it hangs much more
> frequently than FireFox (I'll try again after the upgrade to 11.3).
>

> If someone comes up with other options I might be glad to try them :)

Maybe Opera?  Does it have a decent adblocker?