thunderbird in German?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 5 05:11:29 UTC 2019

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 09:37:10 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Aug 2019 02:13:32 +0200, hw wrote:
> >Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> writes:

> >> 	I've been happy with it for many years now.
> >
> >Well, it seemed pretty good, and I intend to use it instead of
> >Thunderbird or seamonkey.  I'm not sure if it would be wise to make the
> >users switch over as well, though.  But then, it might just be wise
> >because sylpheed might cause less trouble in the long run.
>
> Hi,
>
> that's a naive miscalculation. I dislike Mozilla projects for several
> reasons, but what makes you think that Sylpheed might cause less trouble
> in the long run? It might not cause trouble on FreeBSD yet, but it will
> in the short run, since on Linux it already does, as all GTK apps and
> especially GTK2 apps do.

That is an important thought!

As Gtk2 probably will EOL just like Gtk (1) did, newer toolkit
versions _might_ tie much stronger into Linux infrastructures
than the current version does, and porting them to FreeBSD might
cause trouble because of missing kernel interfaces or library
functions.

> Some projects have got
> a GTK2 and GTK3 port and you get rid of this issue, when compiling
> against GTK3. I don't know if Sylpheed has got a GTK3 port, but Claws
> has got, unfortunately it's "experimental", IOW broken in many ways.
> You also might have noticed that some Linux projects migrated from GTK
> to Qt.

Let's see how Qt development is on FreeBSD...

> Btw. way closer to Thunderbird features is Evolution. Claws and
> Sylpheed are lightweight, but might miss features one or the other user
> might need.

That's why it's important to evaluate beforehand which features are
needed by the users. Lightweight doesn't always mean usable _in a
specific setting_, but it _could_ be, depending on the features
needed. And you're right that Evolution is hardly "lightweight",
but more like Thunderbird in terms of provided features.

> Actually I migrated from Mozilla MUAs to Evolution years ago. I tested
> Kmail, but experienced way to many issues.

Can confirm. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany