testing wifi dongle for freebsd support!

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Apr 28 15:17:11 UTC 2019

On 28/04/2019 04:57, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> … intend to visit the vendor's shop, boot one of his demo amd64 systems off a freebsd-12 disk and test …

You can relatively easy produce an USB stick with the FreeBSD version
you like. The steps are:

- use gpart to make partitions in the dev of the USB stick
- svn checkout the source of FreeBSD of the version you want
- make buildworld
- make buildkernel
- mount the USB partition to /mnt
- make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt
- make installkernel DESTDIR=/mnt
- make distribdir DESTDIR=/mnt
- make distribution DESTDIR=/mnt
- umount /mnt

reboot and boot from USB.

I've done this a lot of times to test new kernels or test special
laptops.

Come back to me if you need more details or in case of problems.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
N € I N zur EU!