Help with ntpd

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sat Apr 27 19:29:33 UTC 2019

> On 27 Apr 2019, at 11:30, Montgomery-Smith, Stephen <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>
> For some reason, ntpd has stopped correcting the time on my FreeBSD
> computer.  After 12 hours, my clock has fallen back 4 hours!  So it is
> very serious.

If the time offset it too high, ntpd will not change it.

This might help:

     -g, --panicgate
             Allow the first adjustment to be Big.  This option may appear an
             unlimited number of times.

             Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if the
             offset exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by default.
             This option allows the time to be set to any value without
             restriction; however, this can happen only once. If the threshold
             is exceeded after that, ntpd will exit with a message to the
             system log. This option can be used with the -q and -x options.
             See the tinker configuration file directive for other options.

     -G, --force-step-once
             Step any initial offset correction..

             Normally, ntpd steps the time if the time offset exceeds the step
             threshold, which is 128 ms by default, and otherwise slews the
             time.  This option forces the initial offset correction to be
             stepped, so the highest time accuracy can be achieved quickly.
             However, this may also cause the time to be stepped back so this
             option must not be used if applications requiring monotonic time
             are running.  See the tinker configuration file directive for
             other options.

> Every so often I correct the time with "ntpdate 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org",
> but the lag starts right away after the update.

If you do NOT correct the time does the lag continue to grow? How quickly? What is your timezone set to? Have you told your system to be on UTC or local time? Is your BIOS set to UTC or the local time?

--
Dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off.