saving "zfs send" to a Windows host

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Apr 25 16:34:15 UTC 2019

Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > Use sshd, just like you would in unix only environment. Install
> > > OpenSSH on windows (e.g.
> > > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_install_firstuse
> > > ), use public key authentication only without passphrase (yes,
> > > security, I know, but you probably want the thing wirking first). I do
> > > not know if the m$ sshd supports chroot, but if it does, use it.
> >
> > This is good advice, thank you. I've had OpenSSH installed by the
> > Windows admin for me, so I can now ssh into that Windows host and even
> > public key authentication works:
> >
> > root at bsd:~ # ssh winhost ver
> >
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> > root at bsd:~ #
> >
> > Now that I would like to send the backups to winhost to b:\my_backups\,
> > what remote command should I call there? In Unix I would call "cat" or
> > "dd" or even "rmt", but here?
> >
> > root at bsd:~ # zfs send zroot/var/mail at test | ssh winhost "what?"
> >
> > I guess I need something in Windows that would accept a byte stream on
> > stdin and save it to a file in b:\my_backups\
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> The "cat" of windows was/is "type" .. I think ...

No, "type" does not seem to accept a byte stream from stdin, at least
the way Unix "cat" or "dd" do:

"echo test | type > q.txt" produces a syntax error, and

"echo test | type con > q.txt" waits forever, and when interrupted, it
produces an empty q.txt

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/