saving "zfs send" to a Windows host

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Apr 25 14:52:13 UTC 2019

Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > What is the most convenient way to stream a "zfs send" output through
> > the network to a file on a Windows host, for backup purposes?
> >
> > I used to use mount_smbfs to mount a Windows share and capture "zfs
> > send" output to a file, but now that SMBv1 is not supported anymore,
> > mount_smbfs has become useless.
> >
> > I don't mind installing some agent to the Windows host which will be
> > able to receive "zfs send" output to a network port (through netcat for
> > example) and save it there, but I don't know what it could be. It should
> > also support some form of authentication (at least not permit an
> > arbitrary host to overwrite the backups).
> >
> > Can you recommend something?
> >

> Use sshd, just like you would in unix only environment. Install
> OpenSSH on windows (e.g.
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_install_firstuse
> ), use public key authentication only without passphrase (yes,
> security, I know, but you probably want the thing wirking first). I do
> not know if the m$ sshd supports chroot, but if it does, use it.

This is good advice, thank you. I've had OpenSSH installed by the
Windows admin for me, so I can now ssh into that Windows host and even
public key authentication works:

root at bsd:~ # ssh winhost ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
root at bsd:~ #

Now that I would like to send the backups to winhost to b:\my_backups\,
what remote command should I call there? In Unix I would call "cat" or
"dd" or even "rmt", but here?

root at bsd:~ # zfs send zroot/var/mail at test | ssh winhost "what?"

I guess I need something in Windows that would accept a byte stream on
stdin and save it to a file in b:\my_backups\

Any thoughts?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/