Why is Sendmail still around?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Apr 1 14:41:27 UTC 2019

>> Are you saying your mail provider offers no submission server
>> for its users?
>
> I didn't say that. Even worse, I stated that I now have to
> use the mail provider's SMTP "interactively" (through the
> MUA). :-)
>
> My main intention was to find a convenient (!) way to locally
> submit messages to sendmail (or something else) which would
> then do all the "outgoing mail chores" in the background.

If your mail provider has a submission server, it is extremely easy to set
up dma, which is part of the base system, to take any locally generated
mail on your FreeBSD box and log into that submission server to send the
mail, using it as your smarthost.

As far as I know, that's all the "outgoing mail chores" there are.

You should completely disable sendmail in rc.conf, like this:

sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

I set up my FreeBSD VPS to do this in under 10 minutes.

Regards,