Starting ntpd in a jail

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Fri Sep 28 14:32:48 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-28 8:50 am, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to run ntpd in a jail.
> Before someone points out it won't be able to set time, that's ok :) I
> just want other clients to be able to synchronize with it.
>
> I can manually "service ntpd start" and it will happily work, but it
> won't start at boot (or if I restart the jail).
>
> Running "rcorder /etc/rc.d/ntpd" gives the same result in the jail as
> in base (where ntpd starts correctly):
>> rcorder: file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' is before unknown provision `LOGIN'
>> rcorder: requirement `devfs' in file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no
>> providers.
>> rcorder: requirement `FILESYSTEMS' in file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no
>> providers.
>> rcorder: requirement `ntpdate' in file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no
>> providers.
>> rcorder: requirement `DAEMON' in file `/etc/rc.d/ntpd' has no
>> providers.
>
> Any hint?

I tried to do this a while back, everyone told me it wasn't possible.
The solution ended up being that you don't restrict the answering IP
address on ntpd running on the host. That way the clients receive the
answer from the host on the jails IP address, instead of the jail.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer