freebsd-update: following files will be updated ... /usr/share/man/whatis

tonycheed at vfemail.net tonycheed at vfemail.net
Tue Sep 25 21:37:37 UTC 2018

Hello

Some time ago I have added this:

@daily	root	freebsd-update cron

to my '/etc/crontab'. (Just in case I miss security, errata etc.
notification e-mails, I still get the nightly e-mail directly from the
host...)

Ever since then I get a mail every night telling me a new version of
'whatis' is available (actually, almost every night -- after real
updates there is silence for a few days):

---

domain.tld security updates
September 23, 2018 12:44 AM
 From: «Charlie Root» <root at domain.tld>
To: root at domain.tld

Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.4-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be updated as part of updating to
10.4-RELEASE-p12:
/usr/share/man/whatis

---

Only that file, nothing else, always! Does anyone know what is whatis
doing here, why and what to do about it?

Cheers
Tony