No Sound

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 14 18:53:05 UTC 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:26:57 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700.
> running
> FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu Sep
> 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018     root at Chameleon.friedrich.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
> CHAMELEON  amd64
>
> with snd_hda devices:
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> No devices installed from userspace.

> I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.

Not sure if this still works... The cdcontrol utility
was used for decades with the acd driver (ATAPI), and
that supported the command to play audio CDs (usually
with output through the internally wired CD Audio
connector).

The command of course expects /dev/cd0 (full path name),
which should be the default anyway. You can check it:

	# cdcontrol eject

Does the drive open? If yes, you don't need to specify
the device. :-)

You can also set a device with $CDROM in your environment;
see "man cdcontrol" for details.

> I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

FIrst check:

	# pcicontrol -lv | less

and see if the system detects your sound hardware as
you would expect. Next, check:

	# dmesg | grep "pcm"

as well as

	# cat /dev/sndstat

You should also verify that the corresponding mixer
devices appear in /dev (usually mixer0, maybe more).

>From your above output, it seems that the device has
been recognized correctly, so now check for several
other things:

1. Is the mixer set correctly?

2. Is the device using the correct output unit (if there
   is more than one)?

3. Are you connecting your speakers / headphones /
   amplifier to the correct output?

Commands like

	# mixer -f /dev/mixer0

and

	# sysctl -a | grep "snd"

will tell you most things, the rest is done with eyes. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany