HELP upgrade 10.3 to 11.2, now it won't boot!

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:25:36 UTC 2018

I started the upgrade from 10.3 to 11.2.

I followed all the instructions and all "looked OK" until I got to
the reboot.

Now the system won't boot.

copied from a photo of the screen:

Mounting from ufs:/dev/ad01e failed with error 19.

(something)dev variables:
(something)ufs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0s1e
(something)ufs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

(something)ual root filesystem specification:
<fstype>:<device> [options]
      Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
      and with the specified (optional) option list.

e.g. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
       zfs:tank
       cd9660:/dev/cd0 r0

and obviously, more stuff intended to be helpful printed below that.

I retried the boot from ufs:/dev/ad01e in case the problem was transient,
and that yields error 19 again.

Help!  Now what the heck do I do?

Thanks, and in somewhat of a panic,
Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.