APC UPS BackUPS Pro (BX1500M)

C Gray frankfenderbender at council124.org
Tue Sep 4 01:00:43 UTC 2018

My experience says "yes" but with the following qualification: the power-source goes to the APC input, and the computer (or other devices) plug into an APC output. The APC will supply power with its battery no matter what the device or OS, however, the sum of "drive"-current determines the rate of battery dissipation. I chose the 1500-watt model, APC Pro-1550-S.

The lameness comes when the software may or may not auto-save, because that entails the OS.

I use my APC as an intermediary between a solar-panel powered battery which is used for the refrigerator, full-house water purfcation system, and my technology room's separate circuit outlets. I plugged in my main WAN computer, my ham radio, my Dell server, and a few USB hubs used for distributing disk-space specific-topic hard-drives and their BU hard-drives.

If the battery gets fully drained at night, then the APC kicks in, and alarms me so I can turn off processes and systems gently.
If you have the right OS (and I think they narrowly only support Windows, then the APC will suffice for the period for which it is built, but no longer. You will need to complete the shutdown process yourself.

My answer is a bit general, but then so are quality assurance and specs these days....

best and good luck,
chrisg
frankfenderbender at council124.org