package : chez-scheme-9.5 : x11 dependencies : why?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 22 15:42:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 15:17:42 +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> okay, so i might be getting on the nerves of some people with my
> rhetoric
> about unnecessary dependencies, and i am really sorry about that.
>
> i just don't seem to understand why a package like chez-scheme-9.5 has
> depend upon x11 libraries; libX11, libxcb, libXdmcp, xorgproto and
> libXau.
> the rest, i.e. libxml2 and libpthread are understandable, but why x11?

Maybe because the Chez Scheme system includes X11 support
by default.

Maybe you can try the port "petite-chez"? It does have much
less dependencies (but I'm not sure it is functionally
equivalent).

> also, would like to know the method to find the name and email address
> of
> a package creator/maintainer so that i can contact him/her directly,
> that
> would be better than tormenting this mailing list, i think.  ;-)
> and is it possible to accomplish the above using the "pkg" tools.

The easiest way is to get a ports tree using the "portsnap"
tool, and then check the following two files:

/usr/ports/lang/chez-scheme/pkg-descr - here you will find
the general web page of the project, in this specific case,
https://cisco.github.io/ChezScheme

/usr/ports/lang/chez-scheme/Makefile - search for "MAINTAINER=",
it will list the email adress of the corresponding FreeBSD
port, here, ashish at FreeBSD.org

It is also possible to do this with pkg: "pkg info -f <name>",
but this only works for packages that have been installed.
Again, check for the "Maintainer" entry.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany