Question about porting sh tests to dash.

Devin Hussey husseydevin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:30:51 UTC 2018

The dash shell has a complete lack of quality control. It has a total
of zero tests, which is a problem considering it is supposed to be the
reliable workhorse /bin/sh on many Linux distros.

For example, I have seen a patch that was so buggy that dash couldn't
even run its own ./configure script. Despite this, two versions were
released without it even being noticed. Recently, it happened again:
Another patch was released which broke variable expansion, five other
patches pushed, a supposed "fix" for the buggy patch, that didn't even
fix the most obvious bug.

dash, like FreeBSD's sh, is based off of ash, and therefore would be
compatible with most or all of the FreeBSD tests.

I was considering porting some or all of the sh test suite to dash
(obviously giving credit), as the tests are remarkably thorough. I
want to know if you are all okay with it.

Obviously, some tweaks would be required, such as how the tests are
run. However, it would still save weeks, if not months of repetitive
work and would prevent/fix many serious bugs in the codebase.

Thanks,
Devin Hussey