VBox additions not working with FreeBSD as a guest on macOS

Scott Douglas Constable sdconsta at syr.edu
Sun Nov 11 18:39:55 UTC 2018

Hi All,

New FreeBSD user here. I'm trying to get the FreeBSD 11.2 release working in a VBox VM on my mac (macOS 10.14.1). I followed the directions here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-guest-virtualbox.html

except that I used

$ pkg install virtualbox-ose-additions

instead of the port. I added all of the configuration fields (vboxguest_enable="YES", etc.) to my rc.conf, and rebooted several times. As far as I can tell, none of the advertised features works:

  *   Clipboard sharing: doesn't work

  *   Mouse pointer integration: I'm not sure whether this works or not. I was already able to use my mouse in the FreeBSD guest using moused

  *   Host time synchronization: doesn't work

  *   Window scaling: doesn't work

  *   Seamless mode: The "seamless mode" option in VirtualBox (under "View") is grayed out

My kldstat reports that the guest additions kernel module (vboxguest.ko) is loaded.

FYI here is my loader.conf:
hw.vga.textmode=0
kern.vty=vt

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott