sudo not available after configuring ipmi serial over lan

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 8 20:07:22 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-11-08 at 12:47 -0500, Jordan Caraballo wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> Changing the line following line from std.115200 to 3wire.115200
> worked.
> Can you explain the why? I am not entirely sure of the difference
> between
> 3wire and std there.
>
> ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire.115200" vt100   on          secure
>
> Thanks,
> - Jordan

The standard setting honors the modem control lines on the serial port,
so any attempt to open that serial device will block until the carrier-
detect line on the port is asserted.

The 3wire setting indicates that only RX, TX, and GND are connected,
and modem-control signals should be ignored. An open of such a device
will return immediately whether anything is actually connected to the
serial port or not.

A /dev/ttyN device is assumed to be a "call-in" device and has the
blocking behavior by default. A /dev/cuaN device is assumed to be a
"call-out" device that doesn't wait for modem carrier by blocking.
Using the std vs 3wire designations in /etc/ttys causes init(1) to set
termios(4) flags to implement blocking-open or immediate-open behavior
without needing to change the device name as well.

-- Ian