sudo not available after configuring ipmi serial over lan

Jordan Caraballo jordancaraballo87 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:56:40 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

After configuring ipmi serial over lan console, I am not being able to
execute any command related to sudo; not even "sudo su -". I am using ttyu0
and COM1 on a Dell R530. Everything regarding receiving output and typing
at the serial console is fine; the only command not working is sudo.

Any ideas? Below are the configurations.

/etc/ttys

# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
#ttyu0  "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"      vt100   onifconsole secure
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on          secure
ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"      vt100   onifconsole secure
ttyu2   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"      vt100   onifconsole secure
ttyu3   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire"      vt100   onifconsole secure
# Dumb console
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

/boot/loader.conf

# ipmi enabled
ipmi_load="YES"
# ipmi configurations