freebsd-update(8) and custom kernels

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Nov 6 22:38:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 19:57:12 +0100
Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h at mgk.ro> wrote:

> > I have used this procedure for upgrading several times now (most
> > recently from 11.1 to 11.2 - and that box started on 9.<something> so
> > it's been through two major version upgrades). There's an extra
> > freebsd-update install after the reboot but other than that it's fine
> > IME, YMMV of course.
>
> I still don't understand how this works. To build the new kernel
> for a newer RELEASE you need both the new binaries (which require
> the new kernel to boot first), and the new sources (which don't
> require anything).

	Building the kernel doesn't need the new binaries, otherwise a
source upgrade would be impossible. The first install must install sources
as well as the GENERIC kernel.

> I assume you run freebsd-update first (which overwrites your kernel
> with the GENERIC one), then run freebsd-update after you have booted
> GENERIC (this will install new binaries, and I assume new sources),
> then recompile and reinstall your custom kernel, and then reboot
> again?

	No, I never boot into GENERIC, the procedure is exactly as Julien
described apart from the extra make install after the reboot.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun