Mailman 3 on FreeBSD

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:12:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 03:26, Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin+bsd at citrin.ru> wrote:

> On 10/31/18 6:07 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Is there anyone running Mailman 3 on FreeBSD?
> >
> > I've been struggling with this for a long while. I need to find advise on
> > how to run the various services on FreeBSD after installation - control
> > scripts for rc.d/
>
> I've tried to setup mailman3 and almost did it, but:
> - it was very tedious
> - I encountered some problems which looked like bugs (somewhere in numerous
> python modules for mailman3)
>
> I sought that even if I'll get mailman3 up and running it will require a
> lot
> of effort to maintain it and decided to use mailman2 instead. I'm happy
> with
> mailman2 so far and compare to mailman3 it was easy to setup and configure.
>
> There is a patch for main mailman3 port:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14126
> but AFAIK there are no ports for other components (HyperKitty, postorius).
>
> This patch contain rc.d script for mailman3 core. For web components I've
> used
> uwsgi (uwsgi-py36 package) - it has it's own startup script.
>
> If you familiar with Ansible I can share my unfinished Ansible roles for
> mailman3.

Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Ansible, but you could share still.
Maybe I will get someone to help me out.
I just need to get the components started, since they all installed
successfully. The start|stop scripts and maybe a few bits to configure are
what are remaining. With something at hand, I could probably nag one or two
developers to help me out.
BTW, I am running mailman 2 for several years now. I am only trying to see
how the new shinny MM3 is.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,