problems with ssh-agent after running MATE desktop

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Thu May 24 22:20:11 UTC 2018

> On May 24, 2018, at 2:31 PM, Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.net> wrote:
>
> 24.05.2018 21:41, tech-lists wrote:
>
>> If I then run 'agent', prompts me for the keyphrase, then it works normally. But I have to repeat this in every single opened terminal.
>
> You may like security/keychain port (or package). I use it because of its universal way to run ssh-agent:
> no matter what DE or window manager you use and how do you start it or not at all, working in ssh or console only.
>
> One just adds single line to its login shell script, for bash it is ~/.bash_login:
>
> eval `keychain --eval $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa $HOME/.ssh/id_ed25519 $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa`
>
> First time after machine reboots (sic!) it asks you for passphrase (if needed)
> when you log in starting interactive login shell (no matter which way: ssh/X/console) and that's all.
> It won't ask you again until next reboot, or ssh-agent reset by some other way.
>
> You may even disconnect completely and it reuses started ssh-agent next time you log in again.

I still use windowmaker as my primary desktop . However what I do in .xinitrc  is ‘ ssh-agent wmaker’ . Ssh-agent’s man page states it can be used in place of exec in shell scripts to inject its environment into wmaker and its child processes like xterm or urxvt in my case .  You use to be able to do this in kde I am not 100% sure about gnome but it’s worth trying if you don’t like keyring.

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch at longcount.org