problems with ssh-agent after running MATE desktop

Charlie Li ml at vishwin.info
Thu May 24 16:01:17 UTC 2018

On 24/05/2018 10:41, tech-lists wrote:
> However, this does not happen if MATE is loaded from xinit. It is as if
> I had not loaded the key at all before starting MATE. I get this error:
>
> sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation
>
> If I then run 'agent', prompts me for the keyphrase, then it works
> normally. But I have to repeat this in every single opened terminal.
>
> What do I have to do to stop MATE from clobbering (or whatever it's
> doing - I don't know where to start with this) ssh-add?
>
> for context: recent freebsd-stable/amd64 and ports

MATE loads all of gnome-keyring, including the ssh-agent portion. This
is an almost hard-coded behaviour; it cannot be disabled even in MATE's
Startup Applications (where the different parts of gnome-keyring are
present and enabled separately). The only way to disable gnome-keyring
from loading at all and setting itself in the global MATE environment is
through a dconf or gconf key that escapes me at the moment.

By default, gnome-keyring will ask for your SSH key passphrase (through
pinentry) only on the first time you connect somewhere that uses it. It
is then added and used just like ssh-add would.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…