rsync for FreeBSD 12

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu May 17 18:40:29 UTC 2018

> On 17 May 2018, at 03:13, Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 16 May 2018 23:45:44 -0700
> Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
>> I have a Rapsberry Pi 3 running FreeBSD 12 current.  I would like to
>> be able to install rsync and a few other packages on it.  However,
>> there are no packages available.  I don't have enough disk space to
>> install the ports.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> I use NFS, alternatively, you can use binaries from 11.

As best as I can tell there are no binaries for Rapsberry Pi 3 for FreeBSD 11.  Support for that was introduced in 12.  What I did was to bring down the source for those ports on a 11 system, do all the pre-compile work and then tar the entire directory.  Copied it to the Pi and then built it there.  Rsync relies on libiconv so I had to do the same for that also.  Interestingly enough, rsync couldn't find the libiconv.  Ktrace showed it never looked in /usr/local/bin.  So I added a link for it in /usr/bin and now it works.

-- Doug