swapfile question

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Mon May 14 00:57:47 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM, RW via freebsd-questions
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2018 08:39:52 -0700
> Waitman Gobble wrote:
>

>> I use Warren Block's SSD setup and create swap file, seems to work
>> A-OK.
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/
>
> Swap files are certainly more flexible, but I think the argument about
> TRIM is wrong. My understanding is that to UFS the swap activity on a
> swap file is just reads and writes in the file. Short of deleting the
> file I don't think you would get any trims. From that perspective swap
> files are slightly worse because when you create the file with dd you
> are telling the SSD that all of it holds data.

The only swap issue I have is with Firefox on FreeBSD desktop with
less than 12gb RAM. ie, 8gb machine will start paging eventually. This
could be an issue that was solved though, I think I remember people
complaining about FF. But when FF starts paging the easiest is to
reboot. Yes, it has to do with hella tabs open after a month or so. :)

FreeBSD servers are running 32gb or 64gb RAM and those have not been
paging. That i've noticed.

--
Waitman