A request for release engineering

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Fri May 11 16:51:56 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 08:10:14PM +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
> Since bumping the version up using freebsd-update needs you to install
> all packages afresh, it would appear to my naked eye that it never makes
> sense to upgrade. Instead, one should simply wait till one's release
> version goes beyond EOL - and then install the latest available release
> afresh. This is just what I plan on this box (10.3) - wait till
> November, and then install 12 over the current installation.

Do people not generally use binary pkg's?

pkg upgrade

generally works fine as part of a 10.3->11.1 (or 10.3->11.0) freebsd-update path.
It'll automatically uninstall and reinstall the new ABI version packages for you.

Granted, my scale makes my local poudriere build server nice, but I
don't have that many customizations to my source builds that stock
binary builds would work for 98% of my package set.

I couldn't imagine rebuilding kernel/packages from ports source as
part of every upgrade cycle. My primary home server works just fine
with binary updates, binary pkg updates on everything I do there.