gpart recovery FreeBSD 7.4

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Sat Mar 31 12:41:58 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 23:34:08 +0000
"Jean M. Vandette" <jmvandette at securenet.net> wrote:

> Well I booted on 11.1 and the entire disk disappeared
> Since I had the layout I was able to add the partitions
> back but still cannot fsck or mount anything.  I did not
> newfs the partitions.  So data should be still there... just need to
> get to it.

did you make a copy of the crucial parts of the media with dd or one of
its friends?

> The layout seems to have changed however see below:

Could it be that either GPT entries are faulty or the disk is dying and
reports now a smaller size? Ok, a smaller size will result in a
different behaviour.

If you know the original layout, you should be able to read the GPT
tables and compare them with what they should be. If you have the copy,
just edit them with the values you want. When the values match, the
partitions suddenly appear.

I know, this is real hard core.

Erich