ipmitool and SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:47:30 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:15 PM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, March 27, 2018 09:58, Paul Mather wrote:
>

>> Actually, graphical console redirection still works for me.  I have to
>> download the .jnlp file and then use "javaws /path/to/file.jnlp" via a
>> terminal window to fire up the graphical console viewer.
>
> I am trying this approach having first reverted to FF-52esr.  This
> change gets the java console display in the SM web admin application.
> However, when I try to run the console launch.jnlp file the icedtea
> version of javaws dies with the error:
>
>      No iKVM64 in java.library.path.
>

> I have discovered a reference to this error which says that the lines:
>
>     <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
>     <property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>
>
> Have to be added to the os specific resources block in the jnlp file.
>
> <resources os="Linux" arch="amd64">
>     <nativelib href="liblinux_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar" download="eager"/>
>     <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
>     <property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>
> </resources>.
>
> I discovered that javaws is called itweb-javaws on FreeBSD.  However,
> even downloading the jnlp file and editing it to add the suggested
> lines, which are already present in the generic
> <resources></resources> block, still returns the No iKVM64 message
> when run with itweb-javaws.
>
> Further research then turned up this thread
> (https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2016-July/103836.html)
> which contains the notice:
>
>> The supermicro java console requires a linux native binary (ikvm64)
>> which cannot be loaded in freebsd.
>
> So I am left with getting ipmitool to work.
>
> --
> ***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
>         Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
>  Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail
>
> James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
> Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
> Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
> Canada  L8E 3C3

It works with modern FF but on Linux, with the ice-tea thing. I used Debian 9
I Did not have to edit the jnlp file

Had no luck accessing ipmi with MS Windows or FreeBSD. It is kind-of
ridiculous, of course. IT seems to be the only way that 'works' if you
want to mount a virtual 'ISO'
Maybe try a virtual machine?

--
Waitman Gobble