FreeBSD on Asus VivoBook 15-S510UQ

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Thu Mar 22 14:48:58 UTC 2018

Just put FreeBSD 12-CURRENT on an Asus VivoBook 15-S510UQ and I'm very
happy to report that almost everything works with simply minor config.

System overview (all working):

CPU:	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (1992.09-MHz K8-class CPU)
Mem:	8Gb (expandable to 16Gb)
HDD:	1Tb (Toshiba MQ04ABF100)
SSD:	128Mb (Toshiba THNSNK128GVN8)
Ether:	none
WiFi:	Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 (works on 12-CURRENT)
Video:	Intel UHD Graphics 620 (1920x1080)
Audio:	Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)
Webcam:	Azurewave USB2.0 VGA UVC WebCam

Even ACPI S3 suspend/resume appears to work just fine with video and
WiFi restarting properly after the resume.

The things not working yet are:

Mouse:	unknown type (not yet working)
Video2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] (not yet working)
BT:	usb device (vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b) (not yet working)

I am using a USB mouse for now, which works fine.  The built-in
mouse/touchpad/fingerprint reader is not detected.  Any suggestions for
that would be appreciated.

I have not yet got the NVIDIA 940MX going, but I haven't really looked
into which drivers are needed for that yet.

Finally, there's a bluetooth device too, but I have not yet looked
at that, either.

dmesg:		http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/dmesg.txt
pciconf:	http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/pciconf.txt
usbconfig:	http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/usbconfig.txt