How to prevent HDD spin-down.

J.B. non.euc.geo.1854 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 02:37:10 UTC 2018

Hey. I purchased a new WD laptop hard disk drive, but it keeps spinning
down and parking its heads after 25 seconds of inactivity. How can I
disable that feature or extend the timeout to something less idiotic? I
checked the BIOS, but there's no setting for it. I booted into a Linux
(Debian-based) OS duel-booting on the same disk, and the disk doesn't
spin down, so either Linux is doing something to override that feature,
or FreeBSD is doing something to enable it (possibly a package I
installed). Thanks.