Refresh my memory make release with a custom kernel

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 20 18:47:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:26:34 -0400, Mark Saad wrote:
> Igor
>   That did not work, the resulting kernel was still a GENERIC . For a
> work around
> I am just going to tar up /boot/kernel into my own kernel.txz. This is
> on 11.2-SATBLE/PRERELEASE

>From what I understood from the Makefiles, "make release" will
always build with the GENERIC kernel configuration. There are
basically two possibilities:

a) overwrite GENERIC with your own configuration, or

b) previously run "make buildkernel KERNCONF=<name>", tar the
   result from /usr/obj, then build the release, and finally
   replace its GENERIC objects with your own ones.

See "man 7 release" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany