Problems Connecting Laptop To Modem

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:49:15 UTC 2018

On 6/15/18, Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:

<snip>

> You can't just add the default router line without a bit of knowledge
> about what the IP address of the default router actually is.  Do you
> know what the 192.168.0.* address for the router is?  I suggested
> 192.168.0.1 because that is often the default, but not necessarily so.

I eventually found that 192.168.0.1 was the value from one of my tower
machines.  I tried other values for the last number as well and got
the same result.

>> That might be worth considering, but I don't have to do it with my
>> other FreeBSD machines.
>
> Can you post the result of "netstat -rn" from one of those other
> machines?

<snip>

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire
default            192.168.0.1        UGS        fxp0
127.0.0.1          link#2             UH          lo0
192.168.0.0/24     link#1             U          fxp0
192.168.0.12       link#1             UHS         lo0

Internet6:
Destination                       Gateway                       Flags
   Netif Expire
::/96                             ::1                           UGRS        lo0
::1                               link#2                        UH          lo0
::ffff:0.0.0.0/96                 ::1                           UGRS        lo0
fe80::/10                         ::1                           UGRS        lo0
fe80::%fxp0/64                    link#1                        U          fxp0
fe80::21a:92ff:fe10:ce8b%fxp0     link#1                        UHS         lo0
fe80::%lo0/64                     link#2                        U           lo0
fe80::1%lo0                       link#2                        UHS         lo0
ff02::/16                         ::1                           UGRS        lo0

I've had no problem with the machine where this came from.  I just
checked the laptop using a live version of Ubuntu and I was able to
connect to the Internet with it.  The hardware, it would seem, doesn't
appear to be the main problem.

BMJ