Alternative to x11/gnome3 ?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jul 31 01:44:07 UTC 2018

sergio lenzi wrote:
> > > Well, you can always go back to the reliable gnome2 now AKA mate
> > > you can use our "distribution" with more than 1800 packages for
> > > amd64,
> >

> > Does your mate distribution support user swithing (please see the
> > first mail in the thread)? If it does, what display manager does your
> > mate distribution depend on?
> >

> Hello...
> the user switching is done  not in the gdm, but inside the mate under
> the "system tab in the" panel, that in this version (1.20) is not
> avaiable, but
> I will check the code, may be an option in the consolekit can make it
> show up....

Any news?

> but if you log out, from mate, you can choose some options in the gdm
> login, as language, xdmcp, ...

The idea is that a second (third etc) user should be able to login
without the first user logging out (and closing all her programs
thereby), as available on Linux and Windows ("logoff" vs "switch
user").

> the switching you are looking for was available on mate 1.12 I
> think...
>
> the distribution uses GDM 2.18.9  with  the full gdmsetup & friends...
> On NetBSD we use gdm 2.20.11   that is quite the same one... and yes,
> we have mate 2.19 on NetBSD-8.0 for raspberry pi.

Am I right that gdm is the absolute requirement for user switching to
work, no other display manager can do that?

And while we are at it, I have a couple of questions on Mate
(now I have mate-1.18.0 from the vanilla FreeBSD packages):

1. How do I totally disable all volume automounting in Mate/Caja? I'm quite
happy with the system automonter and don't need no gvfs and other
userland mounts (even more because they don't support Cyrillic
filenames correctly).

2. The sound control app in Mate is completely unrelated to the real
sound system of FreeBSD (as of 11.2 and mate-1.18.0). The volume and
input/output controls do nothing. I have to use the good old
/usr/sbin/mixer and "sysctl hw.snd.default_unit" to manipulate with
sound. Is this my misconfiguration or Mate's fault?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
AS43859