pkg update

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.org
Wed Jul 25 12:16:24 UTC 2018

Robert Fitzpatrick via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Isn't 10.4 still alive? I plan to upgrade before October, but I'm seeing
> this now:
>
> root at data3:~ # uname -a
> FreeBSD data3.webtent.net 10.4-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p9 #0:
> Tue May 8 07:05:01 UTC 2018
> root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
> root at data3:~ # pkg update
> /lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.4 required by /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.4
> not found
>
> Can someone suggest what I could do to correct this and update packages?
> I get the same whether trying to install a package or upgrade.
>
> Also, I keep receiving the same src updates but I don't have the src
> installed, how can I have freebsd-update not install src items as shown
> below? I do have some files in the /usr/src directory, perhaps I
> downloaded some src at some point in the past. Can't remember how they
> got there...

I was able to resolve the src messages by removing from the
freebsd-update.conf file. I found this suggestion below to run
pkg-static and perhaps identified the issue, why would I be running an
old kernel and how can it be corrected?

root at data3:/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg # pkg-static bootstrap -f
pkg(8) is already installed. Forcing reinstallation through pkg(7).
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from
pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest, please wait...
Verifying signature with trusted certificate
pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
Installing pkg-1.10.5_1...
Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1004000
- running kernel: 1000510
Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]: n
package pkg is already installed, forced install
Extracting pkg-1.10.5_1: 100%
root at data3:/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg # pkg update
/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.4 required by /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.4
not found

But all appears up to date:

root at data3:~ # freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.4-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 10.4-RELEASE-p9.

--
Robert