3d modeling recommendations?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Jul 12 21:12:46 UTC 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 15:46:36 -0500
Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On 07/12/18 15:23, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> > 	It's based around text files describing what is to be drawn,
> > writing scad files is a lot like writing a program with extrusion and
> > CSG as primitives.
>
> I used FreeCAD quite successfully to send models to 3D printing company
> (and we printed them in house as well). There is FreeCAD package (as
> well as port). I'm sure there is openscad package on FreeBSD as well

	Oh sure there's a package - I tried FreeCAD and a few others but I
found it much easier to do precise models with text files than by drawing.
I mostly do woodwork or building design with it so I have a library of
components and with careful use of echo I can get a materials and cutting
list on stdout while it renders an STL or image.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun