Help with an Urgent Matter

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 19:23:20 UTC 2018

 1.2.�Welcome to FreeBSD!

|  |
1.2.�Welcome to FreeBSD!

David,

As you can see, Apple borrows a lot from FreeBSD.  The co-joined operating system is called DarwinOS which is the foundation for the Apple Mac OSX operating system.
Not having dealt with a Mac for years, I'm guessing about your issue.  If your command returns a prompt after it runs and spits out that message, the shutdown command may have been altered.
At the prompt, try a simple 'halt' command.  That should shut the machine down.
P.