backspace not working with mg

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 9 20:28:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 06:45:15 +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> my backspace key functions just right with 'ee' but not under "mg".
> the system just beeps and the cursor just sits where it was.
> i am a "vi" guy, but now am migrating to "mg" because the nature
> of work for me going forward would involve a "lisp-1" system and
> "mg" provides nice parentheses matching feature without the bloat
> i would have to tolerate if using "gnu emacs".

If parentheses matching for lips is your goal, and you're
already a "vi person", why not use vim? It has support for
syntax highlighting and will clearly show you the parentheses
counterpart. You can also use gvim if you wish to run it on
X. Both programs share the same configuration, so it doesn't
matter if you're using it locally as gvim on X, or vim via
SSH.

And you don't have to learn emacs. ;-)

Regarding a non-working backspace key: First check if it
sends the correct code, it should be ASCII 8, or ^H (Ctrl+H).
That is the default on FreeBSD, of course.

The command

	% stty -a

will tell you the currently active configuration for the
control characters, look for "erase".

Then of course check your mg configuration if it overrides
something. I don't think this is the default, but it could
still be.

For testing, load a file with mg, and press Ctrl+H instead
of backspace. Does it do what it is supposed to do?

Also check your terminal configuration. While xterm usually
applies the FreeBSD OS defaults, terminals primarily for use
with Linux (and therefore integrated in a voluminous desktop
environment) may be configured differently. So if the terminal
emulator you're using can be configured, check its options
as well.

PS.

Please don't assume I'm an "anti-emacs person". In fact,
I'm a "vi person" being too stupid to understand the magic
and the power of emacs, that's why the decision. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany