[commercial] sendmail setup request

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at kathe.in
Mon Jul 9 05:20:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-08 09:23 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 14:22:14 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> i own a domain (kathe.in) for which email services are provided by the
>> domain registrar itself. email services include imap, smtp and
>> webmail.
>>
>> the problem is that i lean more towards using mailx under bsd and at
>> the same time also wish to have my mails stored online (or rather
>> non-locally).
>>
>> i might be wrong, but i have concluded that the best and also the most
>> economical solution would be to go for either rootbsd or digitalocean
>> using a freebsd instance and run sendmail to provide email services in
>> and out of the instance.
>>
>> and now comes the real bummer, i don't have any idea about how to
>> setup
>> sendmail to allow the above.
>
> I don't want to sound impolite, but did you ask yourself if
> you're asking the right question here? Maybe I didn't fully
> understand your goals, so allow me to ask:
>
> 1. Do you want to stay with your domain provider as the "keeper
>    of the mail" and just want to be able to use xmail instead
>    of a (usually annoying) webmailer?
>
> 2. Are you prepared to run your own mail infrastructure? Do
>    you want to provide the "all and everything" yourself,
>    usually POP3 + SMTP + IMAP + Webmail?
> [snip]

my goals are very basic and hence quite simple.
i should be able to log into the freebsd instance as my username
which would be the same as my email address (mayuresh at kathe.in)
and use mailx to go through my emails.
i don't need imap nor webmail.
i know it must be a simple sendmail setup, but frankly, i'm not
capable enough to understand the in-and-out of sendmail to be
able to configure it to my requirement.

thanks polytropon, and yes, you were not at all impolite. :-)