/usr/local/lib/compat/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.8 required

Rob Belics robbelics at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:27:14 UTC 2018

I see this is a common error, and even mentioned on the GNU site, but I'm
not sure how to fix it. I am trying to start openLiteSpeed. It seems to
compile and install just fine but when I "start" it, I get the error:

/usr/local/lib/compat/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.8 required by
/usr/local/lsws/bin/openlitespeed not found
[ERROR] Failed to start litespeed!
No matching processes were found

However, I have that library at that location. I believe the error is
caused by the version but this is installed as part of 11.2-RELEASE. I'm
aware there is another libstdc++.so.6 under gcc-extras(?).

What confuses me is an openLiteSpeed person says they don't get the issue
on their test machine which is 11.1 so I don't know where to go from here.