Problem deleting files

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Sun Jul 1 21:06:12 UTC 2018

--On July 2, 2018 at 6:14:58 AM +1000 Rowdy <rowdy at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> On 2/7/18 5:13 am, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> If I try to delete that specific filename, it seems to work. (Running rm
>> twice returns no such file the second time.) Yet the file count remains
>> the same.
>
> If you delete a file and the file count remains the same, perhaps a
> process is still creating these files.
>
> It would be a good idea to identify and remove that process or this will
> be a never-ending task.

For years I've had a rsync job that backs up one server to another. I
disabled the job when the disk ran out of space and started looking for the
problem. There's no process creating files in the directory now, but the
files are turning out to be particularly stubborn at removal for some reason

Paul Schmehl, Retired