LPD listen directive?

Garance A Drosehn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Jan 30 22:34:16 UTC 2018

On 30 Jan 2018, at 16:48, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:

> Can lpd be configured such that it listens only on specific IP
> addresses?  If so where and how is it done?  We are running lpd and
> cups on the same host.  Cups is configured to only listen on the
> loopback  address.  But lpd is listening on all available addresses.
>
>  netstat -a | grep LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0 192.168.216.44.ssh     *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0 localhost.ipp          *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 localhost.ipp          *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp4       0      0 *.printer              *.*                    LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 *.printer              *.*                    LISTEN

The man page for 'lpd' describes a few options which might help you,
depending on what you want.  '-s' means that lpd won't be listening
anywhere (however printing for all users on the localhost should
still work fine).  '-4' means it listens only on IPv4 addresses,
and '-6' means it listens only on IPv6 addresses.

Unless you're doing something odd, you would only need 'lpd'
listening on localhost if you have printcap entries which point
at rm=localhost .  I haven't done much with CUPS, but IIRC it
needs to be listening on localhost or printing doesn't work for
anyone.

Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org