Difference in wainting time between update of base/doc/ports tree

Yasuhiro KIMURA yasu at utahime.org
Sat Jan 27 22:28:34 UTC 2018

Hello.

I check out head of base/doc/ports repository in one FreeBSD box and
update them periodically. When I execute 'svn update' in base or doc
tree update always starts within 10 seconds or so. But when I do it in
ports tree it typically takes from 5 to 10 minutes and sometimes takes
more before update begins.

Update is done from one server (https://svn.freebsd.org/) to one
client (my FreeBSD box). So spec of server, client and/or network
cannot cause such difference. Then why it happens? Repository size
or number of committed files affect waiting time of update and result
in such large differernce? Or some complicated hooks that works at
update time is implemented in ports repository and its processing time
results in such a long waiting time?

Please let me know if someone knows about it.

Best Regards.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA