Exim authentication under FreeBSD

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:47:36 UTC 2018

On 25 January 2018 at 20:23, Frank Leonhardt <frank2 at fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2018-01-25 15:28, Vincent Hoffman-Kazlauskas wrote:

>>> Thanks. This exact method is actually in the Exim documentation, but as
>>> you state, the port no longer exists.
>>>

>> I dont use exim on freebsd but
>> https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/AuthenticatedSmtpUsingSaslauthd
>> suggests you could use it with cyrus-sasl-authd which is an option in
>> the port has that as an option in "make config" but not selected by
>> default.
>> Another option the port has is dovecot auth if you run dovecot imap/pop3
>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/EximAndDovecotSASL
>> I use the dovecot sasl with postfix happily, but as I said I've not
>> tried exim.
>>

> Thanks. It's not the same on FreeBSD but it is possible to get it working
> with a bit of fiddling (i.e. add the third parameter which it will use to
> select the appropriate PAM module from /etc/pam.d/xxxx).
>
> There used to be a system called pwcheck but this is now deprecated by
> Exim; hence the question - what are other people doing?
>
> You can, theoretically, have Dovecot authenticate it (according to the
> Dovecot documentation). That's fine if you're running a IMAP/POP3 server on
> the same box.
>

> Regards, Frank.

If you are not running an IMAP4/POP3 on the server, I still think it's
trivial to generate a username:password pair from /etc/master.passwd and
create a file that is only readable by the Exim user and use that for auth
using a lookup passwd method. I remember doing that many years ago.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,