Exim authentication under FreeBSD

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 10:57:52 UTC 2018

How do people do outgoing SMTP user-account authentication using Exim?

I'm talking about traditional user accounts (/etc/passwd) here, not
glorious LDAP or SQL database virtual users. If you've not come across
this little problem-ette, Exim does not ever run as root and therefore
can't check /etc/master.passwd like sendmail/saslauthd can.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so if there's an existing
daemon/authenticator I haven't found, I'd appreciate a pointer. Or can
saslauthd work with Exim?

This isn't such an issue on Linux, which makes me wonder about Linux.

Thanks, Frank.