freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 709, Issue 5

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:34:17 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Dave B via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> That I suspect depends on how many physical address lines are available
> for it via the memory management system.
>
> If the PC documentation says 8G is the max', then that is probably all
> that'll be seen by the CPU, even if there is 16G installed.
>
> There is only one way to find out for sure, at your expense.
>
> Personally, I doubt it, and the info at
> https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03363664  says it wont.

I have bought the memory (I can use it in an other machine worst comes to
worst) have not installed it yet but in doing deeper research I got a even
stranger disagreement between what it appears the machine can physically
handle and what the manual says.  Output of sysutils/dmidecode:

Handle 0x000A, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
    Location: System Board Or Motherboard
    Use: System Memory