Poor default fonts in Firefox

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sun Jan 7 16:00:07 UTC 2018

Polytropon:

> > You install a new FreeBSD machine with a graphics display, install
> > the xorg and firefox ports on it, all default options, start browsing
> > the web... and you see that some sites (e.g. http://www.bbc.com/news)
> > are presented with pixelated fonts like something out of the 1990s.
> >
> > What do you do?
>
> You install the recommended font packages. :-)

Well, there is no such recommendation.

> > My personal solution for the last few years has been to pinch
> > OpenBSD's etc/fonts/conf.avail/31-nonmst.conf file...
>
> This isn't needed as soon as the webfonts package has
> been installed. And even the DejaVu fonts need to be
> installed manually, if I remember correctly.

No, Deja Vu is a standard dependency:
  x11/xorg
  -> x11-fonts/xorg-fonts
     -> x11-fonts/x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-truetype
        -> x11-fonts/dejavu

Installing webfonts does NOT fix the problem.  fc-match shows that
popular font names like "Helvetica" and "Times" are still mapped
to the same bitmap fonts as before and that's what you still get
in Firefox.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de