zpool fragmentation

Karl Vogel vogelke at pobox.com
Tue Jan 2 20:34:28 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 01:52:54PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 12:40 PM, pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> are there any coping mechanisms people use to reduce fragmentation?
>
> Keep lots of free space.

  If you create an unmounted empty filesystem with a reservation to
  prevent the zpool from filling up, it gives you behavior similar to
  ufs's reserved blocks.  I reserve 5-10% to make sure the system doesn't
  become completely unusable:

    root# zfs create -o reservation=50G -o mountpoint=none rpool/reservation

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Sheep learn to recognise celebrity faces from different angles
                                            --"New Scientist", 8 Nov 2017