WebDAV permissions anomoly (FreeBSD-1, Apache24)

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Tue Feb 20 21:46:23 UTC 2018

Le 20/02/2018 à 14:54:13-0500, James B. Byrne a écrit

> On Tue, February 20, 2018 13:42, Albert Shih wrote:
> >
> > Do you have add
> >
> >     --numeric-ids
> >
> > options on your rsync commands ?
> >

> This is the rsync command used on the original host:
>
> rsync  --recursive  --copy-links  --verbose  --specials  --times
> -e"ssh "   /var/data/hll_dav    hll107:/usr/local/www/apache24/data
>

> So, the answer is no, I did not use '--numeric-ids'.

I'm not sure it's the reason, but be very careful when you use rsync, if
you can have problem with ownership.

If you don't use --numeric-ids and let's say on your primary server you get
a file own by X, and another by Y, on the target (rsync) server if X exist
and Y does not, you going to have the first file correctly own by X, and
the second own by root. So you can break your software with that.

On the other hand if you use --numeric-ids you need...also to be very
careful because rsync going to copy just the numeric-id so the file own by
X on the primary server can be own by Y on the target server.

So in "general" the best way to do rsync is to synchronize first your
/etc/passwd.

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH