File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 18 07:40:07 UTC 2018

> > > They instead contain the incremental diff between the current state of
> > > your app with your app data and the original.
>
> This might be true, but I'm not sure if it is true. If so, the user
> would get the old app release, instead of a new release. I suspect that
> it's not a diff, but just the purchase meta-data and that the app is
> downloaded again, but I might be mistaken here

It might be different for iTunes and iCloud. I'm talking about the
current version of iTunes, that even doesn't allow to access the store,
this nowadays could only be done using the iPad. In the past it also was
possible to purchase an app via iTunes. If the app was purchased via
iTunes, the binary perhaps was part of a "backup".

> Again, you synced without accidentally
> deleting the app first. Such a sync is not a backup. A real backup would
> allow to restore data, even if the app was accidentally deleted and then
> reinstalled.

I might be mistaken here, in so far, that I don't want to restore the
complete iPad, after accidentally deleting an app. I only want to get
back the user data for this app, after reinstalling it and not to
override user data of other apps, too.