File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 18 06:41:17 UTC 2018

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:25:53 -0500, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
>> On 2018, Feb 17, at 18:46, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
>> <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Apple should allow to make backups. Actually what they call a backup
>> via iTunes is not a backup. They don't backup all apps, they just
>> store some purchased meta-thingy and there even is no backup of data
>> available. If you accidently deleted an app with some important data,
>> reinstalling the app, if possible at all, doesn't bring you back the
>> lost data, a sync with an iTunes "backup" would require to manually
>> restore data by the file sharing option, but not all apps support
>> file sharing, IOW here is no way to backup all user data.
>
>The above statement is false.

It is not false! Delete an app from you existing new iPhone and then
reinstall the app, if you sync after doing this, you sync, you don't
restore from a backup, hence the data is lost.

>[snip]
>
>I understand the chafing at the closed system, but don’t make false
>claims.

The claim is correct!

>Ralf is correct that iCloud backups do not contain the full app.

I never mentioned iCloud, I mentioned iTunes, since I'm not using
iCloud.

>They instead contain the incremental diff between the current state of
>your app with your app data and the original.  This dramatically
>reduces the bandwidth used in backup, just like many of us use rsync
>for the same reason.  Why would Apple send the whole app back to their
>servers when they already have it?  They can just send the diff like
>rsync does and dramatically reduce the storage and bandwidth load.

We described a situation were a new release of an app requieres a
release of iOS that is not available for the iPad. When using iTunes,
the Apple servers are not involved, there would be no traffic at all
and the user would get back therequired old releaseof the app.