File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Feb 17 19:05:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, February 17, 2018 12:15 pm, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 16:08:55 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2018, at 02:47, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>> > So please no suggestions to "just" use iTunes.
>>
>> Sorry for the double reply, but it may be possible to use
>> iTunes via wine.
>
> Interesting suggestion, I'll put that on my list, too.
>
> And as macOS is "somehow UNIX or even BSD", why doesn't
> Apple provide a native iTunes program for FreeBSD? That
> would make them look more professional - and me happy. :-)

Nope. Apple has only this small software developers group that would make
all work with MacOS (no tooooo old version though), and with MS Windows
(given a share of people who use MS Windows). People who use FreeBSD (and
even Linux) are too small for them to be significant part of potential
buyers of their gadgets, so it economically is unprofitable for them to do
something UNIX/Linux folks can use. And that group (probably) is less
likely to buy their gadgets (but I may be wrong attempting to guess
apple's market opinion here).

I agree, they will look more professional. In your and my opinion, and we
are really tiny small minority, let's face it. They do look brilliant as
they are for huge majority of people (including well educated brilliant
university professors). And they (Apple) are great indeed (with small
exemptions people like us face every now and then).

Valeri

>> Also, if I remember correctly there is an image grabber for
>> windows that can get images off  an iOS device, which also
>> might work under wine. But I really don't do windows, so I
>> may be a decade or half out of date.
>
> Without at least the name of that program, who knows if
> it still exists - and works, as things tend to stop working
> as soon as a "Windows" update happens... ;-)
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0