File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Fri Feb 16 23:09:14 UTC 2018

On Feb 16, 2018, at 02:47, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> 1. I won't buy a Mac.
>
> 2. I won't buy a new PC plus a license of "Windows".

Fair enough.

> 3. I won't give out any personal identification information
>   to Apple or MICROS~1 in order to "register".

Not necessary anyway, at least with iOS/macOS. Sure, there are many convenient features that don't work without setting up some sort of account, but it doesn't require *your* information and if you don't need those features, the devices are just fine without iCloud.

This is less true of google services on Android which often block off features to punish you for not using a google account.

> 4. I won't register at a "cloud" storage provider.

Then I have to wonder why you have an iPad?

This is trivial to do, but I think you've excluded all the trivial ways to do it. However, given your constraints what I would do is setup a Synology with its "cloud" (as in, on your own device on your own network) and then sync that to your FreeBSD with rsync or something. Synology Drive is supported on iOS and works very well. I use it to move files from Dropbox to the Synology for processing.

The one thing that is least likely to work is trying to get FreeBSD to talk to the iPad directly. Even if you get it to work once, it can stop working at any point since it is not at all supported.

--
My main job is trying to come up with new and innovative and effective ways to reject even more mail. I'm up to about 97% now.